Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blog #3

Go back to the thing you described organizing on Tuedsay's blog. How might someone else organize this item? What does how YOU organize it say about what you value and who you are?

I organize my photos by date/assignment into folders. This says i value time and each event as traceable in a linear time frame. I also then edit the pictures i would like to keep and save them in the folder outside of the originals. So it looks like this... 1/27 WSU vs Arizona > 100EOSD and below this would be something like, A1.jpg A2.jpg A3.jpg A4.jpg A5.jpg and then in the 100EOSD > there would be the original files, a couple hundred or so. I value organization and every photo i consider somewhat worthy i edit and consider for print. I may have anywhere from 7-20 photos from a game or event that were close to the cut. Then sometimes, if there really is that many, depending on the publication i am shooting for and how many images they want, i may make a sub folder in the 100EOSD folder that says something like >Edited final picks, and place those final files to send, in there. I organize this way so i may easily find by date or assignment what i have previously shot. This is good for submitting resume's, and soon will be good for a photo blog which i plan to start soon. Others may not use the date, they may just pick a blerb. Many people just categorize into like and don't like, or have big folders labeled like friends, family, fun etc. For me having the date gives my images a sense of order, and i like being able to revisit my previous shoots in a timely manner and keep up with what i have done in a semester.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious, if you're a photog for WSU (are you?) how they require you to label photos in their databases? Or, is it kind of willy nilly? I have a friend who is a photojournalist and I know her paper has a very strict labeling system for photos, but I know not all do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a photographer with the Daily Evergreen and we usually save by date, and up until recently we had a website we would upload to. We do have an external hardrive for past photos, but because many of have our own systems at home, we don't save photos on the work computer. We just email to the editor. Until last semester we would upload to a website called jetset. It had photos from about 2004 maybe earlier on it, however due to budget cuts and it being a high maintenance system we cut it. We are currently in kind of an Archive Limbo. I'm not sure if the photo editor (kevin elkins, in this class) is saving the photos and putting them into folders for future reference. Bob Hubner and shelly hughes are photographers for WSU and I'm sure they have some system in place to reference back that's leagues beyond ours.

    ReplyDelete