Monday, January 17, 2011

DTC 356 Blog #1

1). First, describe what you see as the most important idea from this article given your own future professional goals--what can/should you take with you?

I think the most important idea from the article is that the internet is evolving and taking on new forms based on the needs of the individual. The internet is a tool that reflects the needs of the people and despite the lack of face-to-face contact, there is consideration that it is actually bringing people together. The article states, "there is worry about the dehumanizing effect of technology.We share that worry, but also see the countertrend,that communication binds us together, gives us shared context, and ultimately shared identity." (Web 2.0 Web Squared) I think as we move forward, technology will only have a stronger influence in our everyday lives. As i write this i am on my computer, connected to the internet and have a cell phone that can do almost half of what my computer is capable of. My professional goals are photography and communication. I hope to use my knowledge of the evolving internet presence to propel a future business forward. Understanding the importance of a web presence, i will be able to market myself. My abilities in web design and communication will help me to build an online presence that will propel my work.

Second, what is the most exciting web application you've seen in the past year? What is exciting about it?

There are so many web applications that are out there these days! The first neatest one i have seen in the past year is the syncing of your facebook application with the contacts on your phone. This is really helpful when meeting new people and tying a face with a name. I also like GPS ability to locate your phone when you can't find it. It takes a little setup, but is really handy when your phone is lost or stolen. Most of the innovative 'web' applications are related to the phone. Phones are really the future of the internet. There are some innovative web applications for sites like steepandcheap.com where you can get text messages, or a pop up on your screen indicating there is limited time to buy a certain item.

8 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point about technology possibly dehumanizing us. I'm sure people could spend hours and hours discussing the topic but in my opinion it seems like with the speed that technology is moving we are going to be forever connected to technology 24/7 whether we want to be or not..most of us already are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your discussion on how the internet can be used to bring people together and, in your case, as a tool for promoting one's self or a business. The profound effect social networking has had on the way in which people reach one another has forever changed the techniques companies use to grow and expand. I agree that phones are becoming so advanced that they certainly are the future of the internet, meaning everything we do on computers will now be expected to become portable and fit in the palms of our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts on dehumanization are very similar to my own. I feel that when we are constantly surrounded by technology especially devices that connect us to the world around us we need to take a moment to realize what impact that can have on future generations. Being cognizant of the importance of human to human, face to face interactions is key to not being consumed by our technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't honestly noticed a decrease in the average face-time that people get in the last 20 years... They may be texting while talking to friends, but they're still talking to friends - going to their places. If anything people are more intimate with their friends now than they were 30-40 years ago - at least we're writing each other regularly to tell each other about our lives instead of living in our picket-fenced isolation.

    Don't sweat the technology too much - people thought the television would turn everybody into antisocial couch potatoes - fast forward 70 years and you get people getting together to watch what their friends DVRd instead of watching TV by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt we are losing our humanity, but we may need to redefine it as the years wear on. The entire idea reminds me of how we have evolved to be indoor creatures. Ever wonder why so many people are nearsighted, and how could humans ever manage to survive years and years ago when good eyesight was key? Turns out, we are getting myopic. http://lat.ms/8axV2t So yea, humanity is mostly in tact, but only with glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a way, it does seem like all this technology surrounding us constantly could be dehumanize us, but it does create links between us and people we may never have kept in touch with. Yeah, it can be weird to have some person from kindergarten following our Facebook, but it could always be useful some day.

    Compared to the smart phones that are becoming smarter, my phone is prehistoric, it calls and sends texts, that's it. I'd love to have a phone I could do a bit more with, I agree that in many ways the phone could be the future of the internet, its easy use makes it very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post. I do agree that the phone is the future of the Internet. Tech geeks have been trying to sell folks on the future of mobile tech for quite awhile, and I think we're finally catching on (likely b/c more of us have smart phones now, either b/c of $ or expectation). There was a recent study (of course I can't find the link right now) saying we're actually more social b/c of social media.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I do understand a lot of the hype around phones and applications, I disagree with their likening to computers. Sure, they contain a processor, memory, graphics processors, the same base components, they lack the periphery and raw power of "full" computers. They're cool in that they offer a lot of the same functionality on a mobile platform, but I guess I'm a little old fashioned and feel that a lot of it is unnecessary in a lot of situations and tends to be a bother.

    Besides, in our contemporary society, realistically we're never going to be too far from a computer. And after all they offer a whole host more interface options and fidelity than a cellular device.

    ReplyDelete